Answered by Ustadh Tabraze Azam

Question: I am doubting Islam because I have been told that it allows secret marriages to second wives. How is this allowed? Why it is not adultery? Can a divorced women with children have a secret marriages to a man who is married with children meeting up at different places with no second home setup as she is at home with her kids and he is home with his kids and first wife?

Answer: Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

I pray that you are in the best of health and faith, insha’Allah.

The general ruling for polygamy in our times is that it is impermissible because of the inevitable harm which comes about from such relationships, particularly amongst those who are not accustomed to such practices.

Many a time, arrangements such as the one you mention are made by those who have a problem or two either in their current marriage or elsewhere in their life, and this is simply a distraction which oftentimes escalates the issue even further.

Learn the religion through qualified inheritors of the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace), and not by those who claim to represent him without any inward or outward proof.

People are known by the truth; the truth isn’t known by people.

See: Can a Husband Marry a Second Wife Without His First Wife’s Permission?

And Allah alone gives success.

wassalam,

Tabraze Azam

Checked & Approved by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani