Abu’l Hasan al-Shadhili relates from his spiritual guide, Ibn Mashish:
The best of spiritual actions are four after four.
[The four actions are:]
(1) loving Allah;
(2) contentment with Allah’s destiny;
(3) non-attachment to worldly matters; and
(4) relying upon Allah.
[These come after four:]
(1) fulfilling Allah’s commands;
(2) leaving Allah’s prohibitions;
(3) steadfastly leaving all that doesn’t concern one; and
(4) scrupulousness in leaving useless amusement. [Durrat al-Asrar]
And Allah alone gives success.