Students of Habib ‘Umar bin Hafiz collected this list of recommendations some years ago, for those amongst us who are pregnant or struggling with infertility.
- Surah Inshiqaq (Surah 84) – to be recited daily throughout the pregnancy
- Surah Luqman (Surah 31) – to be recited daily during the 1st trimester when the baby’s brain, mental faculties and nervous system are developing
- Surah Yusuf (Surah 12) – to be recited in the 2nd trimester when the child’s physical appearance is forming
- Surah Maryam (Surah 19) – to be recited in the 3rd trimester as labour approaches
- “Ya Lateef” – to be recited 129 times every morning and evening
7th month only
- The husband should recite Surah Inshirah (Surah 94) 152 times on the baby
- The first ayat of Surah al-Fath’ (Surah 48)
- “Ya Lateef”
- Surah Maryam (Surah 19)
- Surah Inshirah (Surah 94)
- “As salaam Alaikum ayuha-nabee wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu”
- Shaykh Muhammad Ba Shu’ayb once advised, for the sake of any children we are to have to recite all our adhkar and awrad everyday and to ensure that we pray as many prayers in congregation with our spouse.
- Read as much Qur’an as possible.
- Try and do as much salawat on the Prophet (saw) as possible – in particular Salat al-Tunjina’ and “As salaam Alaikum ayuha-nabee wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu”
- As babies are said to be able to recognise certain sounds and music from their time in the womb, reading certain texts such as the “Book of Assistance” by Imam al-Haddad, is advised in order to bring about recognition.
- One of the Habaib also advised pregnant women to look at pictures of the Ka’aba when she was too tired to actively engage in ibada.
For those trying to conceive children
- Recite Surah Fatiha (Surah 1) 41 times in between the sunnah and fard of Fajr prayer.
- Recite verse 38 of Surah Imran (Surah 3) as many times a day as possible.
Further reading for seekers:
Supplication at Birth of Child
Dealing With Infertility
Invocations To Bear Children
Supplications for Having Children and For Dealing With Pain
What Acts Are Recommended After Giving Birth to a Child?
How Does One Perform The Prayer Of Need (salat al-haja)?